The Seraphina as written is on the left, the results of playing with the pattern is on the right. ************************** CHANGES
What I did was add 2 rows to the shell column, This opens up the base of the column so it's not quite as smooshed looking.
I did a 4dc block of stitches instead of a 3dc block between the shells. This reduces the number of shell columns a little bit but it evens out the spacing. It also makes the center shell column feel a little more substantial.
So, you'll have no more than 8dc's (instead of 6dc's) in the row before your Vst row.
I also stopping doing the increases when I got to the last shell column for the length that I wanted (which is 24 inches on these for Amber and her friends - preteens). The edges line up next to each other in the front instead of overlapping.
The center point at the bottom cups slightly when it's layed out flat, but is fine when it's worn. Not doing the increase at the end gets rid of that little ruffle on the bottom.
Instead of Vst's on the ends I did 3dc's. I think this shawl is a little too heavy for such an open edge.
Beginning Vst -ch2, 2dc in same st, and Ending Vst - 3dc in turning ch.
~ close up of changes~
For this version, the shell pattern by row looks like this:
(Dc, ch1, dc) in center dc ch1, (dc, ch1, dc), ch1 ch1, (dc, ch2, dc), ch1 ch1, (2dc, ch1, 2dc), ch1 ch1, (2dc, ch2, 2dc), ch1 ch1, 3dc shell, ch1
Gauge - single strand pineapples F - 9 1/2 inches G - 10 inches H - 11 inches 2 strand w/ K hook- 15 inches
Special Stitches Shell (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in ch2 sp Side Shell - sl st into ch2 sp, (ch3, dc, ch2, 2dc) in ch2 sp 5dc cl w/ picot- ch2, holding last loop on hook to create cluster: dc in ch2sp, 3dc in next ch2sp, draw thru all 5 loops, ch3Picot - ch3, turn, sl st into top of cluster, tie off.
ch5, sl st in 1st ch to form loop
Round 1 - ch3 counts as 1st dc now and throughout. (2dc, ch2) 5times, (2dc, ch4), (2dc, ch2) 3 times ~ or ~ (2dc, ch2) 8 times - without hanging loop, sl st into top of ch3 to join
* Now you'll begin working in rows & turning at the end of each.
Row 2 - Side shell, ch2, shell in shell
Row 3 - side shell, (dc, ch6, dc) in next ch sp, shell in shell
Row 4 - side shell, 12dc in ch6 sp, shell in shell
Row 5 - side shell, ch1, (dc, ch1) in the next 10dc's, shell in shell
Row 6 - side shell, ch1, sc in ch1 sp, (ch3, sc in ch1sp) 10times, ch1, shell in shell [10 ch3 sp's]
Row 7 - side shell, ch2, sc in ch1 sp, (ch3, sc in ch3sp) across, ch2, shell in shell [9 ch3sps]
Row 8 - repeat Row 7 [8 ch3sps]
Row 9 - repeat Row 7 [7 ch3sps]
Row 10 - repeat Row 7 [6 ch3sps]
Row 11 - repeat Row 7 [5 ch3sps]
Row 12 - repeat Row 7 [4 ch3sps]
Row 13 - repeat Row 7 [3 ch3sps]
Row 14 - repeat Row 7 [2 ch3sps]
Row 15 - repeat Row 7 [1 ch3sp]
Row 16 - side shell, ch2, sc in ch3 sp, ch2, shell in shell
Scallop Potholder My newest most favorite potholder pattern! The small one on top is the pattern as written.
Going clockwise around we have -
Small right has trc for the scallops, The large one is 2 strands and a J hook and is single sided, and the small one on the left substituted a dc for every other fpdc to make it more of a pronounced heart shape.
I think because they're all the same color that the slight differences work with the pattern.
They're all made from Peaches & Cream Burgundy and an F hook.